In recognition of distinguished and meritorious service rendered to
Seton Hall University, the provost may confer on a retired faculty
member the following designations:
- professor emeritus/emerita
- associate professor emeritus/emerita
- senior faculty associate emeritus/emerita
- faculty associate emeritus/emerita
Faculty emeriti continue to be members of the University community
and are granted a number of privileges as enumerated in this document.
Professors and associate professors who have served Seton Hall
University full time for at least ten (10) years as tenured members of
the faculty may apply for the emeritus status upon their
retirement. Faculty associates and senior faculty associates who
have served Seton Hall University for at least fifteen (15) years as
members of the faculty may also apply for emeritus status upon their
retirement. Requests for emeritus status shall be made by the faculty
member in writing to the provost. The conferment of the faculty
emeritus or faculty emerita title shall be at the faculty member’s rank
at the time of his or her retirement. The title does not confer
any employment status, rights or associated entitlements.
Faculty emeriti shall continue to abide by the policies and procedures
of Seton Hall University. Emeritus status may be rescinded at any
time by the provost. The termination of emeritus status may be
appealed to the president.
University Services and Privileges
Faculty emeriti are invited and encouraged to play an active role in
the intellectual life of Seton Hall University. To facilitate the
maintenance of significant connections with faculty emeriti:
- Faculty emeriti will be listed in University catalogues.
- University Club privileges shall be retained by faculty
- Recreation Center privileges, at faculty rates, shall be
retained by faculty emeriti.
- Faculty emeriti may participate in academic processions, including
faculty convocation, commencement, and Charter Day at Seton Hall.
- The University shall continue to provide an e-mail address to
- A Seton Hall University identification card shall be provided to
faculty emeriti upon request.
- Parking privileges, at faculty rates, shall be retained by faculty
- Faculty emeriti shall have the right to faculty discounts, where
available, for the University bookstore, athletic events, performances
- Library privileges shall be retained by faculty emeriti.
- Faculty emeriti shall be retained on all mailing lists that contain
information of general interest to Seton Hall faculty.
Issued by the Provost, May 21, 2007
The University reserves the right to amend this academic policy at any
May 21, 2007
Office of the Provost
Fax (973) 275-2361
Presidents Hall Rm. 112