Student Participation in Mobile Computing
Student Participation Policies:
Participation in the Mobile Computing Program is a requirement for
all full time undergraduate students.
- The laptops for undergraduate students are replaced at the end of
their sophomore year.
- First time / full time undergraduate students are issued a new
laptop at their orientation.
- Transfer students are issued a laptop appropriate to their class
once their transfer credits have been finalized.
- Students who graduate in four years (or less) are eligible to keep
their laptop after graduation. Students who require a fifth year (or
beyond) have a choice of either keeping their senior laptop with a
reduction in their Mobile Computing Fee upgrading their computer to the
latest model and paying the appropriate buyout if they wish to keep
their laptop upon graduation.
For graduate programs participation in the Mobile Computing Program is
determined by the college or program.
- Currently participation in the Mobile Computing Program is required
for all students in Accelerated Nursing and Second Degree
Nursing. The fee schedule and replacement schedule is customized
for each program depending on the program's length.
Students in the Mobile Computing Program receive a University standard
laptop computer, with the following exceptions:
- As part of the Tablet PC Pilot Project, students in the physical,
biological, chemistry, computer sciences and mathematical sciences
receive a Tablet PC.
- As part of the Mac Pilot Project, students in Graphic Design with
an Advertising Art majors /minor or Communications with a concentration
in Graphics receive an Apple MacBook computer for the junior
Faculty Eligibility Policies:
- Students in the Accelerated Nursing Program at Georgian Court
College (GCC) receive a Dell laptop, so that the GCC IT department can
repair or replace their laptops.
All full time faculty are eligible to use a University issued laptop
- For the purposes of this policy, “faculty” includes full time
instructors, faculty associates, and academic administrators with
direct responsibility for instruction, such as deans, assistant deans,
program directors, mentors, and the like.
- Full time faculty are eligible to replace their University-issued
laptop computer every two years. Faculty may elect to keep their
University-issued laptop a third year. It is the University's
policy to replace all University owned laptop computers after three
- Faculty have their choice of the University standard laptop
computer or the University standard Tablet PC. Faculty teaching
in the music and graphic arts programs can elect to receive a Apple
MacBook as part of the Mac Pilot Project.
- The Mobile Computing Program typically issues only one computer per
user. The Mobile Computing Program typically does not issue
printers, scanners, monitors, or other peripherals to program
participants. Faculty with specialized technology needs should
work with their department or college to address those specialized
needs. Exceptions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and depend
on available resources.
All part time instructors, including adjunct faculty, graduate
assistants, teaching assistants, and research assistants, are eligible
to the use of a two year old laptop from the University.
September 1, 1997