Turrell Manor Servant, Leadership and Academic Excellence Program
“A living-learning community with a passion for academic excellence and servant leadership.”
Turrell Manor is a unique living and learning community. In the Fall 2010-Spring 2011 academic year, it will be home to 83 upper class students who are committed to academic excellence and servant leadership as a means of building a vibrant community. The Turrell Manor experience is one that nurtures and aids students during their transition period from college into the world after graduation. This living experience provides a focus for out-of-class learning through programming that integrates intellectual stimulation, dedication to service, and social interaction in a community living environment.
Ora Manor and Turrell Manor Residents’ Guide »
Qualifications for Acceptance into the Program
- HRL Housing Application: Applicants must submit a housing deposit of $325 and a HRL Housing Application by the deadline.
- Credit Requirement: Applicants must have 30 credits earned before the 1st day of the semester for which you are applying.
- GPA Requirement: A 3.0 cumulative GPA must be earned at the time of application and maintained during residency.
- Community Service Requirement: Applicants must agree to participate in a minimum of 25 hours of community service each semester and provide documentation of such service.
- Priority Points: Applicants must have a minimum of 25 priority points or more.
- Turrell Application: Applicants must fill out the Turrell Application and answer all the questions by the application deadline.
- Resume: Applicants must submit a resume along with the application. Resumes must highlight involvement in campus activities, clubs, service activities and other interests.
- References: Applicants must submit the name and contact information of a reference. References must be faculty or administrators of SHU.
- All residents must sign and abide by the Turrell Manor Servant Leadership and Academic Excellence Program Commitment.
Turrell Manor Apartment Information
- Off-campus residence address: 384 Turrell Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079
- Apartment-style housing: One, two or three bedrooms options with a kitchen/kitchenette, bathroom with tub and living room.
- *Apartments are each uniquely structured. Attending the Turrell Open House is strongly encouraged in order to better understand Turrell Manor's distinct and individualized housing layout as well as to find your perfect fit.
- Single occupancy apartment options available.
- Newly renovated bathrooms and kitchens in the entire apartment complex.
- Apartment furnishings: bed, closet or wardrobe and dresser or wardrobe/dresser combo for each resident. Each apartment also includes a dining set, living room furniture, including a desk and desk chair. *Note: Due to apartment sizes and fire regulations, some apartments may not include a desk and desk chair for each resident. Please contact the Residence Hall Director with specific questions.
- Full-size refrigerator and microwave provided in each apartment.
- All amenities such as electricity, local phone, cable and internet included in Housing rate. No Ethernet ports available.
- Residents are not required to purchase a meal plan but may opt for the any meal plan is they desire.
- Smoking is not permitted inside of the apartment building or on the fire escapes.
- Break housing available through registration as well as summer housing option available.
***Turrell Room Rates and Roommate Information***
Terms and Conditions
Contract Information: Turrell Manor Apartment plans are designed as a 12-month license agreement with the summer months at significant savings. However, residents have the option of applying for a release of housing license for the summer.
GPA Requirement: All residents must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in order to reside in Turrell Manor. GPAs will be checked each semester. If a resident's cumulative GPA falls below a 3.0, the resident will be required to leave residence unless they apply for an exception, and will be required to develop a plan to improve their academics. If a resident is granted an exception, he/she will have one semester to bring their GPA back to a 3.0. Residents will only be granted one opportunity to apply for an exception. Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to deny exception requests.
Service Requirements: Residents are required to participate in 25 hours of community service each semester. The housing staff will collaborate with multiple departments and units on campus to plan and implement on-going community service projects for residents. Residents will have the opportunity to earn community service hours on their own with the pre-approval of the Residence Hall Director and DOVE. Turrell Manor residents will be asked to sign a “Program Commitment” form with more information and details on agreements and fulfillment of requirements. We reserve the right to cancel an assignment in Turrell Manor due to non-fulfillment of the program commitment and require the student to vacate the room within two calendar days, or as otherwise stated in writing by the University.
Other Requirements: Residents will be expected to participate in the Turrell Manor community by attending monthly floor meetings, community builders and other programs provided by the residence life staff. Applicants must also be in good judicial standing at the time of the application in order to be considered. If a resident is placed on University Probation or higher sanction while living in Turrell Manor his/her lease will be terminated.