Chapel Closed for Renovation
rendering of new chapel sanctuary.
Beginning December 27, 2007, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception
will be closed for renovations and restoration of the interior. It will
reopen on November 1, 2008.
During this time, Mass and Confessions will be held in the following
Daily Mass and Confessions:
Campus Ministry Lounge, Boland Hall, lower level
Sunday Mass: Jubilee Auditorium
The current Mass and Confession times will remain in effect.
This is the general arrangement unless otherwise posted. Special
arrangements for holidays and breaks will be published separately.
Please consult HORIZONS (the “University Parish” bulletin) and the
Board in front of the Chapel for changes to the schedule. For more
information, please call Campus Ministry at (973) 761-9545.
As part of the Ever Forward Heritage Building Campaign, the second
phase of the Chapel restoration and renovation will commence in January
2008. The body of the Chapel renovation encompasses the liturgical
appointments, interior finishes, lighting and the restoration of the
two existing murals. New liturgical appointments for the Sanctuary
include the main Altar, Tabernacle and center Reredos, side shrines and
statues, and a new Ambo. These appointments are designed to reflect the
English Gothic character of the Chapel. The side shrines will serve as
the backdrop for the statues of our Blessed Mother and Saint Joseph.
The existing Stations of the Cross will also be restored as part of the
overall renovation of the liturgical appointments.
The interior restoration of both the nave and sanctuary will entail an
entire re-painting of the walls and ceiling of the Chapel. The main
wood trusses are finished in a faux wood and will be accented with gold
leaf and an accent painted detail in the tracery of the truss. The wood
purlins which span vertically in the body of the ceiling will also be
finished in a faux wood with a decorative stencil pattern. The
intricate cornice finishes between the wall and ceiling will compliment
the decorative painting scheme. A painted stencil pattern will surround
the edge of the stained glass windows and run horizontally along the
new wood wainscoting in the Chapel.
The 1931 Raggi mural at the chancel arch and the mural of the
Immaculate Conception will be cleaned and restored by conservation
artists as part of the restoration work. The existing pews will be
removed and refinished as well as the existing wood floors. A new wood
floor and platform will be created within the sanctuary area. To
enhance the overall interior, a new lighting scheme has been designed
that will restore the original lighting fixtures and provide ambient
and accent lighting throughout the Chapel.
To complete the renovation, the main entrance and side entrance
vestibules will also be refinished. New tile flooring and lighting will
be installed. The main entrance doors will be replaced with new doors
designed to compliment the exterior of the Chapel. The Mother Seton
Chapel is to be refinished to match the overall Chapel design, and the
sacristy will receive a face lift as well.
Click here for a
visual representation of these changes.
of the Immaculate Conception has been the spiritual center of the
Seton Hall University community for over 140 years. Built during the
Civil War, the cornerstone of the brownstone Chapel was laid by Bishop
James Roosevelt Bayley on May 21, 1863. The first Mass was celebrated
seven months later in December 1863.
For more information please contact: