High School Students
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University
Applications Open: Monday, March 25th, 2019
Deadline to Apply: Monday, May 1st , 2019
M.I.N.D.S is a 6-week paid internship for underrepresented high school juniors and seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in medicine. Interns will learn about different medical professions, health disparities in New Jersey, and the social determinants of health.
Accepted interns will receive:
- $1, 200 stipend
- CPR/BLS and Narcan Certification
- SAT Prep for 1 year
- Hands on experience in a hospital setting
- Field trips to community organizations, universities, and more
- Must begin their junior or senior year in September 2019
- Must identify as African American, Latinos/Hispanic American, and Native American (American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian), first generation, OR financially disadvantaged
- Must complete an application
- Must submit an unofficial transcript with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must provide 1 recommendation letter from a teacher, principal, guidance counselor, or community leader
- Must submit a 500 word essay that answers the prompt, "Why are you interested in pursuing a career in medicine?"
Competitive applicants will be scheduled for an in-person interview. Accepted applicants will be notified by June 3rd.
Statistics from the 2018 Application Pool:
- 263 students applied
- 76.8% of applicants earned a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- 72 different high schools were represented
- 84% of applicants identified as female, 16% of applicants identified as male
2018 Inaugural M.I.N.D.S. Program
The application portal for the 2018 Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University's M.I.N.D.S Program is now closed.
All questions can be directed to:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the dates the internship is held?
The internship will be held July 15th – August 22nd, Monday – Thursday.
Where is the internship held?
The internship will be held at the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University located at 340 Kingsland St Nutley, NJ 07110. Interns will be working Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Does the internship provide transportation?
A shuttle will be provided for interns to and from Seton Hall University located at 400 South Orange Ave South Orange, NJ 07079 to the School of Medicine. The shuttle will leave Seton Hall University PROMPTLY at 8:30 a.m. and return at 5 p.m.
Will the internship provide lunch for the interns?
Interns will be provided with lunch once a week. However, students are encouraged to bring their own meals.
Will interns visit any hospitals?
Yes! Interns will have hospital experience at Hackensack University Medical Center.
Do interns have to complete exams?
Yes! Each week interns will be tested on SAT material and medical knowledge.
Jonathan Dayton High School
County Prep High School
Brook Lin Figueroa
Christ the King Prep
East Orange Campus High School
East Orange STEM Academy
Belleville High School
Piscataway Vocational Technical High
Academy Allied Health Sciences
Passaic High School
Union County Vocational Technical H.S.
Union City High School
West Orange High School
Morristown High School
West Orange High School
Academy for Allied Health Sciences