Skip to Content
Seton Hall University

F-1 Students

An F-1 visa holder is an international student who intends to pursue a full course of study at an SEVP-certified school in the United States. Only SEVP-certified schools are designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to F1 visa holders. F-1 visa holders will have an electronic record in SEVIS (the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). Once the educational or professional objectives of the program of study have been attained, the F-1 visa holder is expected by the U.S. government to return to his or her residence abroad. Visa holders, such as F1, that are temporarily in the United States for a specific purpose are considered "non-immigrants."

How to Apply for F1 Visa Status

In order to apply for F-1 status, a student must obtain the form I-20, issued by the Office of International Programs. The form I-20 certifies to the U.S. embassy abroad that a student has been accepted to a SEVP-approved university and has provided enough finances to pay for the cost of their education and living expenses.

  1. Complete the I-20 Application, click here

  2. Upload the I-20 Application and necessary documents to secure web portal, click here
    Please do not send the same documents more than one time via the drop box and/or email. This will slow down our processing time of your I-20 application.

General information about the F-1 Visa Status, please click here »
Information about F-1 Visa Status Employment, please click here »

Mandatory International Student Orientation 

For graduate, ESL and undergraduate transfer and exchange students

Friday, August 24, 2018
Location: To Be Announced
9:30 – 10 a.m: Check-in & Breakfast
10 a.m.–1 p.m: Orientation
1-2 p.m: Lunch

International Student Orientation

For undergraduate freshmen only

Friday, August 31st
Faculty Lounge, University Center 
10 a.m. – noon

To reserve your spot, we have created a Facebook event for upcoming new international student orientation.

Please RSVP (respond) that you will attend the Fall 2018 orientation event through the Facebook link. Use Facebook to connect with other international students that will be coming for the fall semester, so if you are still looking for housing or just want to make new friends before arriving, this will be a great opportunity! If you do not have access to Facebook, please respond that you will attend at the following link:

Please send us: A copy of your F1 visa to when you are approved.


  • F-2 Dependent Application
    If your spouse and or child(ren) will accompany you to the United States, please complete the F-2 Dependent Application for each individual. The link above consists of the instructions, as well as the application. Please return this application to our office by mail, fax or email.

  • Part-Time Enrollment Form
    In order to maintain your status as an F-1 Visa Student, you must be enrolled at Seton Hall University as a full time student. If you must become a part time student under unforeseen circumstances, please complete this form for part-time enrollment consideration. 

  • Program Extension
    This form is required for all international students who plan to extend their program of study at Seton Hall University. Bring this form to your academic advisor for review of your request to extend. Once complete, please submit this form and supporting financial documents to the Office of International Programs at least 15 days before your program end-date listed on the I-20 or DS-2019.

  • Procedures for Applying to OPT
    The attached packet is required for International Students to apply for their Optional Practical Training. Please print this out and return it to the Office of International Programs when you fill it out.

  • Letter Request Form
    This form is required for current students to request letters from the OIP. These letters include Graduation Invitation letters, Driver's License letters, and Address Verification for on-campus students.


  • Undergraduate Admissions
    Explore the Undergraduate Admissions site for more information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an undergraduate degree.

  • English As a Second Language
    As an international student you can enroll in Seton Hall University's English as a Second Language Program.

  • Graduate Departments
    Find information about applying to Seton Hall University to complete an graduate degree.

  • Housing and Residence Life
    Find information about housing options on-campus and general campus life information for Seton Hall University.

Other Important Documents

Travel Bans

Back to top