Student Travel Grants
A limited number of travel grants are available to encourage students who are IEEE members to attend ICOPS 2017.
Only "First Author" abstracts submitted by students are eligible for travel grants. Moreover, the abstract should be original (not published elsewhere).
Applicants should submit the following information by March 31, 2017.
- Copy of submitted abstract
- IEEE membership number
- Proposed travel budget to the conference (cost sharing with other students is encouraged)
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which is from the student's advisor, stating the importance of the research to be presented.
Create a single merged pdf file containing all the application material and e-mail it to email@example.com by March 31, 2017.
Paul Phelps Continuing Education Grant
Mini-course on "Charged Particle Beams and High Powered Pulsed Sources" and to further encourage membership in
NPSS. The grant award will be for $500 which includes the mini-course registration fee and support for hotel accommodations.
NPSS Student Paper Awards
Description: For outstanding student poster or oral papers submitted to the 44th International Conference on Plasma Science (ICOPS 2017). The purpose of these awards is to encourage both outstanding student contributions and greater student participation as principal or sole authors of papers as well as to acknowledge the importance of student contributions to the fields embraced by the NPSS.
Prize: The two best papers (two awards) will receive cash awards of $500 each and a Certificate. The two runners-up will receive a certificate only.
Eligibility: Any student who is the principal or sole author/researcher and the presenter of either a poster or oral paper at any IEEE NPSS conference that has chosen to provide outstanding student awards, and who has been identified as an eligible student author, will be eligible. If there is a tie, preference will be given 1) to IEEE NPSS members; 2) to IEEE members; or 3) to non-IEEE members.
Basis for Judging: All NPSS Student Paper Awards candidates must be nominated by their research advisors. The research advisor should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the candidate's name, abstract title, and advisor's reason for nomination by March 31, 2017. The Student Paper Awards Review Committee will identify a group of NPSS Student Paper Awards finalists. The student finalists will then be asked to present an oral presentation on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 from 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM in the meeting room - Wildwood 6 at the Harrah's Resort Atlantic City Convention Center. The Awards Review Committee will rank the papers for technical content and originality first. Other criteria such as graphic display and clarity of data presentation may be considered.
Presentation: The NPSS Student Paper Awards recipients will be announced during the ICOPS 2017's Conference Dinner on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 in Wildwood 3 at the Harrah's Resort Atlantic City Convention Center.
NPSS Child Care Assistance Grant
- Babysitting or child-care expenses at the conference location while parent(s) attend sessions
- Additional babysitting or child-care expenses incurred in leaving a child at home while parent(s) attend the conference
- Transportation expenses for a childcare provider to care for child(ren) during the conference (e.g., an adult or relative not sharing your residence)
- Families where both parents are registered attendees at ICOPS 2017
- Parent (registered attendee) who brings child(ren) to ICOPS 2017
- Parent (registered attendee) who incurs additional expenses at home (above their normal child-care expenses) while attending ICOPS 2017