Skip to Content
Seton Hall University
Students talking with a resident assistant.


Student Staff:

DA - Desk Assistant - A trained student staff member who sits at the front desk of each building, and swipes IDs to allow access to residence halls.

RA - Resident Assistant - A trained student staff member who lives in the residence halls and is there to support students, document situations, plan programming, and be a resource to students. This student also serves in an on duty rotation in their building from 8pm to 8am.

OA - Office Assistant - These students help answer phones, assist with walk-in traffic and support professional staff members

Professional Staff:

RC - Residence Coordinator - A Post-Bachelor's degree professional staff member who lives and works in the residence halls. This person is responsible for the overall programming of the building, oversees the front desk and some supervision of the RA staff.

HOC - Housing Operations Coordinator - A Master’s degree level professional staff member who lives on campus and is responsible for room assignments, meal plans, room changes, and desk operations.

RHD - Residence Hall Director - A Master’s degree level professional staff member who lives and works in the residence hall.  This person is responsible for the supervision of the RC, the RAs, and the overall success of the day to day operations of the building. 

Both the RCs and the RHDs serve in a duty rotation that starts at 5pm and ends at 9am.  At Seton Hall University there is a member of professional staff on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, even on Christmas!

SSOD - The RHD or the RC who is serving as the on-call person. 

AD - Assistant Director - a Master’s degree level professional who is responsible for the oversight of the RHDs. This person also serves in a week long duty rotation. 

Who to Call When…

Someone is locked out of their room… Go to the front desk of the building, unless you live in Ora or Turrell Manor, then call Public Safety at 973-761-9300. They will get in touch with an RA on duty or the SSOD.

There is a work order request needed… follow the directions of the hall staff. Some buildings have an email address they use, others have a book at the front desk. Either way, the front desk will be able to help you.

There is a safety concern (theft, weapon, etc.) … Call Public Safety immediately at 973-761-9300.

You don’t get along with your roommate or there is an issue… First, try to talk it out. If that doesn’t work, your RA can help! From there, you can talk to your RC or RHD. 

You have a problem with your bill in regards to a Housing charge… our main Housing and Residence Life Office will be able to assist you. 

Make sure that you always have your room key and SHU ID Card on you.


Back to top