Students with disabilities who have followed published procedures for requesting accommodations and have done so in a timely manner, but who believe they have not been granted reasonable accommodations, or who believe that approved accommodations have not been appropriately implemented, or students who requested accommodation(s) but were denied may file an appeal as outlined below.
Faculty members who have concerns or questions about approved accommodations per the Letter of Accommodation issued by the Disability Support Services Office should contact the Director of that Office. Faculty and staff should not discuss their concerns with students.
Students who believe they have been subject to discrimination or harassment based upon a disability may file a complaint with the Office of Compliance and Risk Management. More information can be found here »
The DSS Appeal Policy does not supersede or replace other University policies and procedures (grade appeal, Student Conduct policy, etc.).
University policy prohibits retaliatory action towards anyone as a result of filing an appeal or grievance.
- A student may request that his/her approved accommodations be reviewed and reconsidered by the DSS Office. A student who believes that his/her approved accommodations have not been appropriately implemented may also appeal to the DSS Office. A student whose request for accommodation has been denied may also request that be reviewed and reconsidered by the DSS Office.
- The appeal must be submitted on the Appeal Form to the Director of Disability Support Services. The appeal should be submitted as soon as possible after the decision/event which is leading to the appeal. Delay in doing so may limit the investigation into the matter and what remedies may be available.
- The Director will review the request, any related documentation, and meet with the student to discuss. The Director will respond to the student in writing with his/her decision on the matter within thirty (30) days of the receipt of the request.
- If the student is satisfied with the outcome of this process, the appeal ends here.
- A student who is not satisfied with the outcome of the Informal Process (above) may file a formal appeal. The appeal must be submitted on the Appeal Form to the Associate Vice President (AVP) and Dean of Students. Again, the appeal should be filed as soon as possible after the decision/event which is leading to the appeal.
- The AVP and Dean of Students will review the appeal, any related documentation, consult with relevant parties, and meet with the student.
- The decision by the AVP and Dean of Students will be in writing to the student and delivered within thirty (30) days of the submission of the appeal. The decision of the AVP and Dean of Students is final.
May 13, 2013