*This health professions recommended curriculum only addresses the pre-medical, pre-dental, and pre-veterinary requirements. Students need to check with their faculty adviser about additional requirements for their major.
- BIOL 1211/1212 General Biology/Organisms*
- CHEM 1123/1125 General Chemistry I and Lab
- MATH 1401 Calculus I
- PSYCH 1101 Intro to Psychology
- BIOL 1222/1223 General Biology/Cell
- CHEM 1124/1126 General Chemistry II and Lab
- ENGL 1201 Core English I
- MATH 2111 Statistics for Science majors
- SOC 1101 Intro to Sociology
*These science courses require students to register for MATH 1015 Pre-Calculus or higher. Please see the Undergraduate Catalogue for additional pre-requistes or co-requisites.
- BIOL 2221/2222 Genetics
- CHEM 2321/CHEM 2315 Organic Chemistry I
- ENGL 1202 Core English II
- PHIL 1130 Biomedical Ethics
- BIOL 2238/2239 Cell Biology (highly recommended this semester)
- CHEM 2322 or CHEM 2316 Organic Chemistry II
- BIOL 3233 Biochemistry of metabolism (highly recommended before taking the MCAT exam)
- PHYS 1701 General Physics I and PHYS 1811 Physics Lab I
- BIOL 3323 Neuroendocrinology (highly recommended before taking the MCAT exam)
- PHYS 1702 General Physics II and PHYS 1812 Physics Lab II
All courses listed above should be taken before the MCATS
BIOL 3191-3194 Biology Research - Students should also take 2-4 credits of Biology Research during this time
By senior year, biology majors should make sure all pre-medical requirements have been met if following the Health Professions recommended curriculum. Students should consult with their academic adviser about additional requirements for the biology major. The following recommended courses will also help ease students into the medical or dental school curriculum.
See Dr. Moldow for additional information about applying to health professional schools.
- For dental students, take a sculpture course (e.g., AART 1219 or AART 1229)
- BIOL 3321 Vertebrate Physiology
- Biology electives that are previews for basic Science courses in medical/dental/veterinary school but not Ecology or Evolution
- BIOL 3231 Molecular Biology