Monsignor McCarren's research interests include Cardinal John Henry Newman’s life and works.
Inviting the faithful into deeper relationship with Jesus Christ through seminary ministry has been a joy. The opportunity to do so by serving the spiritual direction of seminarians and others and by teaching, especially in the area of Liturgy and Sacraments, has been a grace given to me. I serve as chair of the Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission. My interest in Cardinal John Henry Newman’s life and works has led me to give ten academic conference papers. I serve on the board of directors of the Newman Association of America. I am very happy also to serve as a weekend assistant priest at Holy Trinity Church in Westfield. A great blessing has been the opportunity to participate in an international ecumenical dialogue, the Joint Commission for Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the World Methodist Council. During summers I have enjoyed the privilege of teaching and doing spiritual direction at The Institute for Priestly Formation at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.
View Monsignor McCarren's video on the New Roman Missal »
- S.T.D., The Catholic University of America
- S.T.L., The Catholic University of America
- M. Div., Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology
- B.A., Yale University
- Development of Doctrine (Book Chapter)
In Terrence Merrigan and Ian Ker (Eds.), "The Cambridge Companion to John Henry Newman," Cambridge University Press,
- Are Newman’s ‘Tests’ or ‘Notes’ of Genuine Doctrinal Development Useful Today?
Newman Studies Journal, 1( 2), 48- 61,
- The Healing Presence of the Holy Spirit in Priestly Life and Ministry: Reflections from the Thought of John Henry Newman
In "Spiritual Physician: Living Christ’s Own Mission of Healing Love," 61- 74,
- Newman on Papal Primacy in an Ecumenical Context
Josephinum Journal of Theology, 9, 211- 226,