Sandra S. Lee, Ph.D.
Professor, Professional Psychology
Dr. Lee has done research on professional ethics, stress, and spirituality and how they can serve as a buffer to stress.
Sandra Lee is the author of Italian Americans of Newark, Belleville, and Nutley (Arcadia Press). In this ethnographic study of old Italian neighborhoods from the 1880's to the 1950's, she interviewed and collected vintage photographs from individuals and families. More than 250 people took part in the making of this book. The book, and a photo exhibit in Newark sponsored by the Italian Consulate and the Seton Hall Alberto Institute, are part of a larger project. Scans of old photographs and family histories of Italian immigrants and their families in Newark, Belleville, and Nutley are still being collected. Sandra is a Research Associate in the Alberto Institute of Italian Studies at Seton Hall.
Previously, Sandra has published in areas of stress and resilience, and professional ethics. She has served as President of the New Jersey Psychological Association (2002), and she is a past chair of the Department of Professional Psychology and Family Therapy. She also enjoys teaching, and has involved many graduate students in her presentations, research, and publications. She received the Teacher of the Year Award, awarded jointly by the New Jersey Psychological Association and the American Psychological Association.
- Post graduate training, certificate in EMDR, certificate in Hypnosis, Guided Imagery, 2002-2007
- Post Graduate, Certificate in Psychotherapy, Greenwich Institute of Psychoanalytic Studies, New York, NY, 1980
- Ph.D., Psychology, New School for Social Research, 1979
- 50+ published professional articles and abstracts focusing on stress and resilience, and professional ethics for mental health professionals
- Professional invited and conference presentations throughout the United States, as well as China, Thailand, and Sicily
- President, New Jersey Psychological Association, 2002 (Representing 2000+ licensed psychologists in NJ)
- Distinguished Teaching in Psychology Award, 1998/99 Awarded jointly by New Jersey Psychological Association and the American Psychological Association
- Licensed Psychologist, New Jersey
- Italian Americans of Newark, Belleville and Nutley (Images of America)
- From Italy to America: Faces of Italian Immigrants/ Italian Americans
Gallery One, Newark, NJ,
- Traumatic stress and its aftermath: Cultural, community, and professional contexts
Binghampton, NY: Haworth Press,
- Effects of confidentiality law on patient self disclosure: Implications for the therapeutic relationship and therapy outcome (Book Chapter)
In R. Weitz (Ed.), "Psycho-economics: Mental health in the new Millennium," Binghampton, NY: Haworth Press,