Michael J. Osnato, Ed.D.
ELMP Chair and IELRR Executive Director
Department of Education Leadership, Management and Policy
Dr. Osnato specializes in leadership, consulting, teaching and mentoring positions at the university and dist level.
Dr. Osnato is the Chair of the Leadership Department of Seton Hall University and teaches School Law and School Finance. He also directs the University Leadership Institute which runs the program for aspiring superintendents and the mentoring program for first and second year superintendents. In addition, Dr. Osnato is considered an expert on the superintendency and Board Superintendent Relations. He has served over twenty five years as a Superintendent. He has worked with approximately sixty Boards of Education as a consultant, primarily in New Jersey and New York. His firm, Leadership Advantage (formerly J D Associates), has conducted about eighty superintendent searches in New Jersey. He has personally conducted over thirty five searches since he left the Superintendency in Montclair, New Jersey. Dr. Osnato received his Ed.D. in Administration and Supervision from Columbia University Teachers College in 1990. Since then, he pursued post graduate studies at prestigious universities such as Harvard and Oxford. In summary, Dr. Osnato's experience in leadership, consulting, teaching and mentoring positions within the university setting and with superintendents and Boards in the district setting is both extensive and ongoing.
- Post Graduate, Oxford University, England, 2000 and Harvard University, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, and 1992
- Ed.D., Columbia University Teachers College, Administration and Supervision, 1990
- P.D, 1982 and MS, 1972 Fordham University, Administration and Supervision
- 2009 - IMANI (Essex County Minority Achievement)
- 2003 - Superintendent of the Year - New Jersey
- 2003 - Quality Award - New Jersey
- 2002 - Quality Award - New Jersey
- 1996 - NY State Governors Award for Quality