Dr. Oates specializes in fiction writing and 20th century American literature, especially contemporary American fiction.
I have been teaching creative writing and literature courses in the Department of English at Seton Hall University since 2009. Before arriving at Seton Hall, I earned my Ph.D. from the University of Missouri in English and Creative Writing and my M.A. in Fiction Writing from the Writing Seminars at The Johns Hopkins University. In addition to teaching, I am the Director of Creative Writing for the Creative Writing major.
Alongside my teaching, I am a fiction writer. My short stories have been published in many magazines, including the Antioch Review, Witness and my work has been included in the anthology, Best American Mystery Stories 2008. I am currently finishing up a collection of short stories and am at work on a novel.
Curriculum vitae »
- Ph.D., University of Missouri, 2008
- M.A., The Johns Hopkins University, 2003
- B.A., The University of Virginia, 1998
- Special Mention in the Pushcart Prize Anthology for "The Empty House" 2009
- Selected for inclusion in Best American Mystery Stories 2009, "The Empty House" 2009
- Finalist for the Iowa Short Fiction Award 2007
- Finalist for the Saint Lawrence Book Award 2007
- Border's Fellowship, The New York State Summer Writer's Institute 2005