Dr. Lucas is a Board Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist in Gerontological Nursing with many years of practice.
Dr. Lucas is a Board Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist in Gerontological Nursing. She has many years of practice including the Teaching Nursing Home at Rutgers University. Her interest is directed to promoting evidence-based nursing practice and policy change through research and education. She has practiced and taught in public health, gerontology, health policy, and health services research. Her research is focused on quality services for the older adult and has included investigations of resident and family satisfaction with residential care experiences, treatment of depression and dementia for frail elders, state policies for adult day health services, and transitions from nursing homes and assisted living facilities of Medicaid-financed residents.
Dr. Lucas' recent work is on quality, quality metrics in community-based and residential long-term care, and the effects of facility organization, policies and regulation on quality of care outcomes for frail elderly and chronically mentally ill. She has investigated patterns of antipsychotic medication (APM) and antidepressant use in nurse homes utilizing MDS, OSCAR and Medicaid data resulting in a new measure of CMS guideline consistent prescribing, and evidence of the effects of state regulation and staffing policies on use of antipsychotics and facility predictors of APM initiation. Her results have also supported other investigations of comparative safety of and quality metrics for psychotropic drug use in nursing homes, and nursing home culture change practices for quality of care in managing neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia.
- Ed.D. Rutgers University, the State University of New Jersey; Health Professions Education
- M.S. Boston College; Community Health and Nursing Education
- B.S.N. Saint Anselm College
- Charter Member and past Faculty Advisor of Mu Theta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Past President of Alpha Tau Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Advisor for "The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) Reduction in Antipsychotic use in NH Initiative," Research Interest Group.
- Governor's Appointee to State Mental Health Facilities Evaluation Task Force, 2011.
- Consultant to New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services and HCANJ and NJHA UTF Task Force, 2009.
Selected Grant Funding:
- Consultant on "Quality of Psychopharmacological Medication Prescribing in Nursing Home Residents: Influence on Important Clinical and Patient-Centered Outcomes," The Retirement Research Foundation, 2011.
- Expert Advisory Panel of "Effective Physician-Nursing Staff Interations: Their Impact on AL and NH Residents and Families," Shield and Rosenthal, Co-Pls, 2011-2012.