Phyllis Russo, Ed.D., R.N.
Associate Professor - Undergraduate Dept.
As past director of the CNL program, Dr. Russo has also served as Chair of the Undergraduate Department since 2003.
Dr. Russo is the founder and past director of the only Master's Entry-Level program in New Jersey (Clinical Nurse Leader program). The CNL program looks at the health care dangers imposed upon American society by a defective health care delivery system.
During her tenure at Seton Hall University, Dr. Russo has been given the opportunity to fulfill her role as teacher and nurse educator. Central to the concept of good teaching is a commitment to caring about our students just as caring is a commitment and basis of a nurse's interaction with patients. Caring implies the offering of oneself. This means offering the intellectual, psychological and spiritual aspects that one possesses as a human being in order to help attain a goal.
Thus by providing a positive and responsive learning environment the teacher conveys to the students that they are valued as individuals; that mistakes are normal occurrences in the learning process from which one profits. We then give students the freedom and opportunity to take this freedom and become autonomous individuals. This is what she believes and tries to accomplish.
- Ed.D. Seton Hall University
- M.A. Columbia University
- B.S.N. Seton Hall University
Honors and Awards:
Selected Grant Funding:
- Member of Medical Reserve Corp of Union County, 2011-Present.
- Hall of Honor, Seton Hall University College of Nursing, 2012.
- Margaret C. Haley Award, Seton Hall University College of Nursing, 2011.
- Member of Board of Trustees of Center for Hope Hospice & Palliative Care, Scotch Plains, NJ, 1999-2011.
- Director of Accelerated Nursing Program, 1998-2007.
- Elected member of Clark Board of Education, 1999-2002.
- Faculty Role Model Award, 1997 and 2001.
- President, Gamma Nu Chapter, Gamma Nu Professional Honor Society, 1994-1996.
- Expert Witness- Doughie & Hewitt, Attorneys at law, Cranford, NJ, 1993-1996.
- Sigma Theta Tau Award for Excellence in Education, 1989.
- Impact of Power/ Political Behaviors on Career Advancement of Nurse Administrators. Awarded by University Research and Faculty Development Counsel.
- Stress and Social Support in older care giver of children with HIV/AIDS: An Intention Model (Book Chapter)
In D. Joslin (Ed), "Invisible Caregivers: Older Adults Raising Children in the Wake of HIV/ AIDS," New York: Columbia University Press,
- The Effect of a Social Support Boosting Intervention on Stress Coping & Social Support in Caregivers of Chilrden with HIV/AIDS
Journal of Nursing Research, Lippencott Raven Publishing, Philadelphia, PA,
- Guide to Aids Research Counseling. Seronegative children in HIV Affected Families
Seronegative Children in HIV Affected Familes, Newsletter Focus, 8(6),
- Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalance
Medical-Surgical Nursing, McMorrow/Malarkey, CT: Appleton - Centruy Crofts,
- Oncology Nursing: Pathophysiology, Assessment and Intervention
MacMillan Publishing Co., New York,