Dr. Hindin specializes in teacher preparation in literacy, struggling readers, and family literacy.
Alisa Hindin specializes in literacy development and instruction. Her research interests include teacher preparation in literacy, home-school partnerships and literacy, reading fluency, struggling readers, and family literacy. Her most recent research examines the relationship between a home reading intervention and children’s reading performance. Dr. Hindin works with teachers and families to improve children’s home and school reading experiences and to build stronger connections between the home and school.
- Ed.D., Boston University, 2001
- MA, Tufts University, 1993
- BA, George Washington University, 1992
- Utilizing self-assessment and supervisors’ assessment to enrich understanding of teacher candidates’ performance in the field.
Teacher Education and Practice, 25(3), 442-457.,
- An analysis of the factors that influence preservice elementary teachers’ developing dispositions about teaching all children.
Issues in Teacher Education. Education, 20(1), 17-35.,
- Learning for all: Inquiry into transfer theory at a PDS.
In I. Guadarrama, J. Ramsey, & J. Nath (Eds.). Investigating University School Partnerships: A volume of research in professional development schools (pp. 209-232). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.,
- Linking home and school: Teacher candidates’ believes and experiences.
The School Community Journal, 20(2), 73-90.,
- An examination of preservice teachers’ development of dispositions and the factors that influence them.
Teacher Education and Practice, 22(2), 145-164.,
- Meaning making with special education students (Book Chapter)
In C. C. Morocco, C. M. Aguilar & C. J. Bershad (Au.), "Supported Literacy for Adolescents: Transforming Teaching and Content Learning for the 21st Century",
- Linking Theory and Practice: Teaching Methods Classes in Professional Development Schools (Book Chapter)
In I. Guadarrama, J. Ramsey, J. Nath (Eds.), "University and School Connections: Research Studies In Professional Development Schools," Information Age Publishing,
- Measuring Social Consciousness: Using Multiples of Evidence to Examine Teacher Dispositions
Journal of Ethnographic Qualitative Research, 2, 129- 137,
- Supporting young children's literacy learning through home-school partnerships: The Effectiveness of a Home Repeated-Reading Intervention
Journal of Literacy Research, 39(3), 307- 333,