Professor Schiller teaches painting, drawing and printmaking.
The imagery in my prints and paintings is drawn from food-related memories, associations and rituals. As in dreams, disparate locations, objects and figures are combined in images that are not illustrations, but rather are inspired by personal and cultural idiosyncrasies as they relate to food customs and practices. Themes include food and morality (gluttony vs. abstinence, denial and restriction) and food and identity (personal, cultural, familial). Recent paintings have also focused on the religious significance of food, inspired by stories of medieval women mystics and their relationship to fasting.
The classes that I teach consist of required courses for art and design majors that also include students from other disciplines who are taking painting or drawing for elective credit. Over the years, this has caused me to reflect on the importance of the arts as a component of a liberal arts education. While emphasizing basic skills, I also work to introduce the process of taking a creative approach to applying these skills. Each semester, I plan a trip to visit the galleries in Chelsea or the Frieze Art Fair. It is my hope that all students leave my classes with a deeper understanding of art making and the role of creativity in their lives.
- M.F.A. University of Wisconsin - Madison
- B.F.A. East Carolina University
- 2013 Faculty and Friends, Rechnitz Hall, Monmouth University, NJ
- 2012 Feast for the Eyes, Noyes Museum of Art, Oceanville, NJ
- 2012 Bowery Gallery Juried Exhibition, Bowery Gallery, New York, NY
- 2012 Lauren Schiller: Prints & Paintings, Holy Family University, Philadelphia PA
- 2011 Memory, Myth and Meaning, Artspace, Raleigh, NC
- 2010 Lauren Schiller: Paintings, Balter Gallery, Garrison Art Center, NY
- 2010 Schiller/Baker: Prints & Paintings, Pennsylvania College of Technology
- 2009 Story Lines, Adam Baumgold Gallery, New York, NY
- 2009 From the Garden of Earthly Delights, The Arts Guild of Rahway, NJ
- 2008 New Jersey State Council on the Arts Fellowship Award in Painting
- 2008 New American Paintings, Mid-Atlantic Competition Vol. 75
- 2007 Talent 2007, Alan Stone Gallery, New York, NY