Nathaniel Knight, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
His research explores Russian ethnography through scientific societies, folklore, and 19th century exhibitions.
I have been at Seton Hall teaching Russian history, Western Civilization and Historical Research since 1998. Before that I received my Ph.D. from Columbia University and lived in Russia for several years. In addition to my teaching duties, I am currently chair of the History Department. In my research on nineteenth century Russia I have written, among other things, about scientific societies, folklore collectors, ethnographic exhibitions and expeditions, Orientalism, and Russian conceptions of nationhood. My most recent article, "Nikolai Kharuzin and the Quest for a Universal Human Science" was published in the Winter 2008 issue of the journal Kritika.
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 1995
- M.A., Columbia University, 1989
- B.A., Oberlin College, 1984
- 2008 – Seton Hall University, Faculty Innovation Grant
- 2005 – Seton Hall University Research Council Summer Research Stipend
- 2004 – Social Science Research Council, Teaching Fellowship
- 2001 – Seton Hall University Research Council, Faculty Stipend
- 1999 – National Council for East European and Eurasian Research, Research Grant
- 1998 – International Research Exchange Board, Short-term Travel Grant
- 1998 – Harriman Institute, Columbia University, Post-doctoral fellowship
- 1997 – Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Study, Research fellowship
- Was the Intelligentsia Part of the Nation? Visions of Society in Post-Emancipation Russia
Kritika: Explorations in Eurasian History, 7(4), 733- 758,
- Ethnicity, Nationality and the Masses: Narodnost’ and Modernity in Imperial Russia (Book Chapter)
In David Hoffmann and Yanni Kotsonis (Eds.), "Russian Modernity," New York: Macmillan/St. Martin’s,
- Science, Empire and Nationality: Ethnography in the Russian Geographical Society, 1845-1855 (Book Chapter)
In Jane Burbank and David Ransel (Eds.), "Imperial Russia: New Histories for the Empire," Indiana University Press,