The home of Seton Hall University is South Orange, New Jersey which has its own storied history and has retained close ties to the school from the mid-nineteenth century (Seton Hall was located in Madison, New Jersey from 1856-1860) to the present day. Part of this collection includes select materials related to the Village and its development in line with that of the University at-large. The connection is one of mutual depth and vibrancy as the story of both South Orange and Setonia both continue to grow beneficially over time. For more information about these resources and all of our services please feel free to contact Alan Delozier, Director via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at: (973) 275-2378.
South Orange History Websites
South Orange (NJ) Resources Bibliography
Compiled by Alan Delozier, Director/Associate Professor
The following is a selected list of articles, books and texts that provide an introductory look at South Orange (NJ) history. All of the following titles are found in the William Noé Field Archives & Special Collections Center and/or Walsh Library Main or Reference Collections. The location of these publications and call numbers are provided where available.
- League of Women Voters of South Orange, NJ. South Orange, NJ: The League, 1960. [Main Collection – F144.S6 L4 1960]
- Pierson, David Lawrence. History of the Oranges to 1921. Reviewing the Rise, Development and Progress of an Influential Community. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1922. [Archives & Special Collections – F144.O P64 1922]
- Revised ordinances of the Village of South Orange, New Jersey. Newark, NJ: Gann Codes, Inc., 1969. [Main Collection/Archives & Special Collections – JS1459.S6 A5 1969]
- South Orange and Maplewood in picture and story. South Orange, NJ: South Orange Record Corporation, 1940. [Archives & Special Collections – F144.O6 S69 1940]
- The History of South Orange. South Orange, NJ: Seton Hall University, 2003. * Video Recording [Main Collection/Archives & Special Collections – F144.O6.H58 2003]
- The Township of South Orange, NJ. South Orange, NJ: League of Women Voters of New Jersey, 1980. [Archives & Special Collections – F144.O6 T68 1980]
- Welk, Naoma. South Orange. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2002. [Reference Collection/Archives & Special Collections - F144.O6 W45 2002]