Archdiocese of Newark
Archives and Special Collections

Seton Hall University holds the unique distinction of serving as the dual primary repository for both a major educational institution and religious see. The Catholic Diocese of Newark (Newark became an Archdiocese in 1937) was founded in 1853, and since that time materials have been produced in the form of correspondence, diaries, ledgers and a large photographic collection which represents the vibrancy of religious and socio-ethnic development in the context of New Jersey history. 

 

The cornerstone of this compilation are the manuscript and business papers produced by each Bishop and Archbishop of Newark over the 150+ years of diocesan activity. These representatives include James Roosevelt Bayley (1853-1872), Michael Augustine Corrigan (1873-1880), Winand Wigger (1881-1901), John Joseph O'Connor (1901-1927), Thomas J. Walsh (1928-1952), Thomas A. Boland (1953-1974), Peter L. Gerety (1974-1986), Theodore Cardinal McCarrick (1986-2000) and John J. Myers (2001-Present) along with various Auxiliary Bishops and other key administrators. The personal/business papers of various members of the clergy compliment a growing number of detailed priest files. Another important aspect of this collection includes individual church histories from St. Patrick's Pro-Cathedral and the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart along with a number of parishes located in the counties of Essex, Hudson, Bergen, Union (which comprise the present boundaries of the Archdiocese of Newark) and others throughout the Garden State.

 

The presence of church census data, select religious community information, educational files and various institutional and parish records are also found within this collection. Original and microfilmed nineteenth and early twentieth century sacramental registers from both current or closed parishes and various local cemeteries provide a wealth of information for those conducting genealogical research either on-site or via mail inquiry as well. Supplementing these distinctive resources are bound or microfilmed copies of Catholic Almanacs and Directories dating from 1851 onward, but more specific information on these resources can be found by contacting Alan Delozier via e-mail: Alan.Delozier@shu.edu or phone at: (973) 275-2378.
 
 

Contact Us

Archives and Special Collections Center
(973) 761-9476
archives@shu.edu
Walsh Library

Sign In to PirateNet