What is the Graduate Certificate?
Stillman School graduate students who take four, three-credit courses that are part of the entrepreneurial studies program obtain the Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurial Studies.
The program is designed for:
- Students enrolled in the Stillman School MBA degree program. The Certificate is obtained in addition to the student's concentration.
- Students who wish to specialize in entrepreneurship.
Why is it important?
The skills and knowledge learned in the entrepreneurial studies program prepare students to start and run a business, or to work in a small business, including a family-run business.
Also important, many large corporations increasingly seek professionals with an "entrepreneurial mind set," which enables them to be innovative and flexible in every business environment. So if you already work for a large corporation, the Certificate will provide you will important skills you can utilize to succeed in your present job.
What do you learn?
Students learn how to recognize a business opportunity, conduct feasibility studies to determine if a proposed venture can be profitable, write business plans, find sources of funding, consider legal and financial aspects of creating a business, and work in teams to transform ideas into reality.
Students are required to take at least two of the following courses:
(Course offerings change each semester)
- BMGT 7540 Entrepreneurship
- BMGT 7544 Growing A Small Business
- BMGT 7565 Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- BMGT 7596 Directed Research (Approval Needed)
- BMGT 9342 Social Entrepreneurship
- BLAW 7331 Franchising and Leasing
- BLAW/BMGT 7410 Law and Entrepreneurship
Students select one or two additional course from the following:
- BMGT 7552 China in a Global Economy
- BMGT 7962 Managerial Negotiating*
- BLAW 7319 Product Liability **
- BMKT 7619 Sales Management
- BMKT 7620 New Product Planning and Development*
- BMKT 7623 Retail Operations
- BMGT 7945 Seminar on Leadership*
- BMGT 7950 or BHRM 7950 Seminar in the Management of Change*
- BMGT 7599 Directed Research*
- BMGT 9320 Managing Knowledge Workers
- BMGT 7536 or BSPM 7536 Negotiation and Dispute Resolution in Sport*
- BMKT 7621 Marketing Channels and Logistics (Supply Chain Management)*
- BMGT 7524 Doing Business in India
- *BMBA 9114 Human Interaction and Market Orientation
- ** BMBA 9112 Financial Accounting and Legal Considerations
Many of our full-time faculty have attended top Ph.D. programs and are in demand as lecturers, consultants and media experts. Stillman School faculty provide an academic experience characterized by high faculty-student engagement, often partnering with students on research and other projects.
The Stillman School of Business offers an ethics-centered graduate education that "transforms concepts into business practice." We are among the top 1 percent of business schools worldwide that have achieved both business and accounting accreditation from The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Known for academic excellence, the school's M.B.A. program is consistently named a Princeton Review "Best Business School" and a U.S. News "Top Business School for Part-time MBAs."